I have created a project for uri_grammar on Google’s new code hosting service, largely as a means of testing the waters. Though right now the only thing of interest that’s there is another link to the tarball. While Google provides Subversion hosting, it doesn’t look like there’s currently a way to import the contents of an existing repository into it. I won’t be populating the Subversion repository there until I can do that.
The site sports the type of clean, uncluttered interface one would expect from a Google property. And it’s quite snappy, too. It’s a pleasant departure in these respects from SourceForge. But while Google hosting executes very well the things it provides, there is a lot missing compared to SourceForge. Significantly, Web hosting and release hosting are absent. It will be very interesting to see where this goes, though.
OpenVRML‘s make check was busted with most tests failing ever since I checked in EXTERNPROTO support; that’s finally fixed now.
Memory leaks persist. I’ve spent some time tracking down the Spirit-related one and I’ve managed to reproduce it in a test case. Unfortunately, upgrading to Boost 1.33.1 didn’t magically fix the problem. The leak seems to be triggered by parsing in multiple threads.
As a side effect of this activity, my URI grammar is now available in its own package.
I’ve been a fan of Spirit ever since it was first released. But trying to use it in any sort of nonobvious way always makes me feel not quite smart enough. The documentation is what I’d call a Good Start; maybe it’s even 70% of the way there. It is well-written; but it is written for someone as smart as its author or nearly so. I for one could use a little more exposition and a lot more examples.
But slowly, I think I am Getting It. After rereading documentation several times and searching the mailing list archives, I think I have attained my goal of making the semantic actions for my URI parser pluggable as a template parameter.
I wrote the URI parser for OpenVRML. But it is an implementation detail there, which makes it a bit difficult to test in that context. So I have broken it out into its own package to facilitate testing. That was really prompted by this claim that the URI parser leaks memory.